Deciding to stop drinking is one of the bravest things a person can do. Admitting that the problem is out of control and that you need help is very important. Furthermore, deciding to seek professional assistance ensures that you will have a good chance of successfully quitting. The first step to recovery from alcohol abuse is a detox program for many people. Especially if you have been drinking heavily or for a long time, this type of program can help with withdrawal symptoms. If you are concerned about what alcohol withdrawal treatment in New Hampshire will be like and are worried you won’t be able to tolerate it well, it can help to know what to expect from a detox program. Call Liberty Health Services at 855.959.4521 for more information.
What Happens To Your Body During Alcohol Detox?
When you drink heavily, the body becomes acclimated to the presence of alcohol. The central nervous system (CNS) especially tends to become sensitive. Then, when alcohol is no longer present, the body has difficulty adjusting back to how things were before the drinking. Some people may develop alcohol withdrawal syndrome (AWS) at this point.
Symptoms of AWS include:
- Irritability, agitation, and anxiety
- Sweating uncontrollably
- Shaking or tremors
- Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
- Difficulty focusing or brain fog
- Visual, auditory, and tactile hallucinations
What Will Medical and Therapeutic Care Staff Do To Help?
No matter how you approach it, going through withdrawal is not easy. However, with the proper care and treatment, it can be made more comfortable. Clients in a detox program will be monitored by care staff around the clock to make sure they are tolerating the withdrawal process as well as can be expected. If a client is having trouble or experiencing particularly severe symptoms, appropriate medications can help to relieve the client’s discomfort. Therapeutic staff will care for clients in order to maintain a stable and healthy state of mental health.
Why Get Professional Help to Stop Drinking?
While it is possible in mild cases to cleanse alcohol from the system at home, there are many reasons to choose to seek professional alcohol treatment. Alcohol withdrawal has the potential to be dangerous. Furthermore, people who drink heavily or who have been drinking for a long period of time should seek professional help for safety reasons. Studies have shown that those who complete a detox program for drugs and alcohol have far better outcomes than those who try to quit independently.
In a medically-supervised detox program, clients will have expert support through the withdrawal process and then transition into further treatment if necessary. Most people need continued care and support to maintain their recovery. They will also want to continue in a long-term treatment program or intensive outpatient therapy program. In order to promote healthy choices and sobriety, it is important that a continuum of care is available to clients. Starting out in a medically-supervised detox program is an excellent way to enter this continuum of care and get the help you need.
The Benefits of Getting Professional Help for Alcohol Addiction
Getting professional help for alcohol addiction can bring many benefits to an individual’s life. Some of the most significant advantages include the following:
- Improved health – Seeking help from a professional can greatly improve physical health, as it starts with breaking the habit of excessive drinking and reducing its effects on the body. With proper medical care, individuals will experience less risk of developing serious health complications associated with alcohol addiction.
- Emotional well-being – Professional help can provide individuals with the emotional support they need to get through difficult times, especially when trying to overcome an addiction. Licensed clinicians are able to offer resources and techniques to manage stress, anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues that can arise from addiction.
- New coping strategies – Professional treatment helps individuals develop new, healthier coping strategies for dealing with life’s struggles rather than resorting to alcohol or other unhealthy behavior. Clinicians can provide guidance and teach effective ways of handling stress so that individuals can take control of their own lives and make positive changes.
- Social support – Professional treatment also provides individuals with access to a supportive environment where they can get encouragement and motivation from their peers. It is a valuable resource for individuals seeking long-term recovery from alcohol addiction.
- Improved quality of life – The ultimate goal of professional help for alcohol addiction is to improve the individual’s quality of life. With the right support and resources, individuals can make positive changes in their lives and build a more fulfilling life for themselves.
Additionally, individuals who complete an addiction treatment program tend to have better success in recovery, avoiding relapse, and long-term sobriety than those who don’t.
Learn More About Treatment at Liberty Health Services
If you or a loved one have been struggling with alcohol and are ready to make a change, reach out to an alcohol detox program near you. If you are near Nashua, New Hampshire, contact Liberty Health Services and let our kind and compassionate staff tell you how we can help.
Getting sober isn’t easy, but with the right help and support, you can rediscover how beautiful life can be without the burden of addiction. Don’t hesitate to seek help. The best time to start treatment is now when you are asking yourself whether or not you should. Contact us today at 855.959.4521 or via our online form and start your recovery journey.