Benzodiazepines (benzos) are commonly prescribed to relieve symptoms of anxiety. They are most effective when used for short periods but occasionally prescribed for longer durations. Unfortunately, they are also commonly misused and can be addictive. Benzo withdrawal can be very challenging and should ideally always be done under care and supervision. This is why many people trying to stop using benzos choose to seek help from a benzo withdrawal management program. In such programs, a combination of medical treatments, therapeutic activities, and natural/alternative treatments are utilized to help patients navigate the withdrawal process as comfortably as possible.
If you are considering benzo withdrawal management in New Hampshire, Liberty Health Services’ staff can help you manage your symptoms in a safe environment. Call us at 855.959.4521 today for more information.
What Happens During Benzo Withdrawal?
Everyone’s experience with withdrawal is different because everyone’s body and circumstances are different. Many factors can affect what kinds of symptoms a person might experience, how long, and how intense the symptoms will be. Some of the most common symptoms of benzo withdrawal are:
- Irritability and angry outbursts
- Increased anxiety and panic attacks
- Difficulty sleeping
- Muscle pain, joint pain, and body aches
- Memory problems and difficulty concentrating
- Desire to self-harm and even suicidal thoughts
Individuals may experience all or only some of these symptoms and in varying degrees of intensity and duration.
What Kinds of Natural Remedies Can Help Symptoms of Benzo Withdrawal?
Just like everyone’s experience with withdrawal will be different, not all remedies or strategies will be helpful for everyone. The most important thing is to keep trying until you find what works for you. Some of the types of natural ways to ease the symptoms of benzo withdrawal are:
- Find and lean on your support network. Talk to people about how you feel and ask them to support you in your recovery.
- Practice mindfulness, meditation, or periods of contemplative prayer. This type of practice can promote a calm mind, reduce anxiety, and quiet angry feelings.
- Evaluate your sleep habits and make sure that you practice healthy sleep hygiene. Make sure you reduce caffeine intake, stop screen time at least an hour before bed, and eliminate unnecessary noise from the bedroom.
- Look into an exercise routine that will gently stretch and activate the muscles and joints of the body, which can help reduce pain and stiffness.
- Get involved in a licensed treatment program where you have a chance to attend a peer support group. It can help immensely to talk to people who understand the experience of benzo withdrawal and recovery.
How Can a Benzo Withdrawal Management Program Help?
It can be difficult to admit to yourself and loved ones that you struggle with addiction. However, seeking help from a treatment program and starting your recovery journey is the bravest and the best thing you can ever do for yourself. In a benzo withdrawal management program, your withdrawal process will be guided and supervised by medical and therapeutic professionals who will ensure that you are safe and as comfortable as possible. In such programs, patients will be offered a combination of medical treatments, therapies, and peer support to help them learn new coping skills and avoid relapse.
Some benefits of professional detoxification and withdrawal management include the following:
- Withdrawal symptoms are monitored and managed to get you through the detox process as comfortably as possible.
- You will have access to 24/7 care and support.
- From detox, you will enter treatment that will include therapy and peer support.
- Detox is often considered a necessary first step to breaking the cycle of addiction in a treatment facility.
- Individuals who complete medical detox prior to treatment have higher success rates of recovery, avoiding relapse, and long-term sobriety.
Professionally supervised and monitored detox and withdrawal management programs are the best and safest way to begin your recovery journey from benzo addiction. Take the first step today.
Discover Benzo Addiction Treatment at Liberty Health Services
If you or someone you love have been struggling with benzo addiction, we at Liberty Health Services are here to help guide you onto the path of recovery. Located in Derry, New Hampshire, we are a premier substance abuse treatment center with experience in benzo withdrawal management.
We pride ourselves on our commitment to our patients’ privacy, as well as our family-centered approach to recovery. Our luxurious facilities are the perfect place for patients to focus on their healing, build up their coping skills, and cultivate support networks. Reach out to our caring and compassionate staff today at 855.959.4521 or via our online form, and let us tell you how we can help.